If you are following me on Facebook you can see the pictures of our travels for the day. I would say our focus for the day was on how the Jews had different sects of Judaism during the first century. 2 of them being near the Dead Sea and the other back in Jerusalem. First we went to Masada. Masada is Herod's luxury fortress overlooking the Dead Sea. It has a phenomenal view! It became a hideout for Jewish zealots during the Jewish revolt against Rome in 66AD or around that time. These zealots were able to live off of the ginormous amount of food and water storage that King Herod had at his palace. The zealots thought if they lead their violent revolt that God would come in and win the battle. Rome built a siege ramp to this huge fortress. When the zealots realized that their fate was death or slavery by the Roman's they killed their families and then committed suicide. Nearly a thousand died at Masada.
At Qumran we learned about the Yahad (which many think are the Essenes). The Yahad were a commune out in the wilderness that basically lived like monks but with families. They had rigid "life style" rules to adhere to. Their philosophy was that if they just removed themselves from the world and lived a pure life that God would fight the battle for them. They too were taken over by Romans. They hid the Dead Sea scrolls to save them but they could not save themselves.
Back in Jerusalem you have the Sadducees who just try to adhere to the way Rome wants to govern them. They didn't think it is so bad because Rome offered many luxuries. Surely God would understand. They did not do well either. The Romans completely destroyed the Temple and I am sure the priests too.
These 3 separate sects all had part of what God wants from his people but not all of it. I do believe that God wants us to take action and defend His ways but not to the point of killing anyone who doesn't agree or convert to your way of thinking. We need to be able to discern when to draw closer to God and let him guide us. Not isolate ourselves from the world. It is hard to be in the world when our only interactions are with people in our christian community. We ARE to have Christian community and fellowship but not at the expense of not sharing the gospel message. We can't conform to ways that go against what God has already judged. We are to be in the world but not of the world. Ending our time in the Dead Sea today gave me time to ponder how we need to balance seeking God, taking action by sharing the Gospel with those we know, and not conforming to the ways of the world. Balancing these 3 things is what Christ has called us to do. I know that I need to keep myself in check. I think if I had to identify with one of these groups it would probably be the Essenes. I have a tendency to want to stay in my safe little Christian bubble. Or maybe the Sadducees who enjoy the guilty pleasures that I know probably are not what I should be watching or doing. This was a good reminder that behaving this way doesn't usually end well. Be salt and light.
No comments:
Post a Comment