Sunday, October 25, 2015

Jordan, Jericho, and Joshua

Friday: Oct 23rd.
I am so excited to have been able to go the Jordan River! It was such a cool experience.  As our bus pulled up you can see Christian monasteries on both sides of the river.  Aubrey explained to us that the Jordan River separates the countries of Jordan and Israel.  We were at the lowest part of the Jordan so this was likely the place that Joshua would have used to cross over into the promise land.  It is also likely to be the place that John the Baptist would have brought people to be baptized.  So many thoughts are running through my mind as we discuss all these things. Looking at the Jordan River and imagining Jesus being baptized.  Why did Jesus need baptized?  He was without sin.  He was God in flesh, perfect in every way.   I don't think anyone really knows why it had to be done.  As we are watching people go into the Jordan and being baptized, being cleansed of their sin, their sin being left behind in the water, it reminded me of something I read or heard once. Maybe his baptism is symbolic.  Jesus who is without sin to lie in those waters that are full of sin.  The sin that was left behind by others now is all on Him. It is an interesting image.  Sitting on our Israeli side of the Jordan looking across the river we see a Jordanian group of Christians come to the river.  They start seeing Standing on the Promises of God.  I couldn't help but get teary eyed.  I thought this is what Heaven will be like.  Every tribe, every nation coming together to Praise God!  The rivers and oceans might separate us but Christ brings us together.  One LORD, one faith, one baptism.
We hopped on the bus and went to Jericho and shopped a bit.  We saw the wall that came tumbling down!  Every day we spend time talking about Joshua.  Mark and I have thanked God many times on this trip because we studied Joshua last year in our Wednesday night bible study!  We feel God used that study to prepare us for this trip.  Mark and I have felt that God has always gone before us.  Of course we also are thankful for Rick who leads us through the Old Testament every week.  Mark and I were able to view all the cities we discussed in class and the route that Joshua took when he marched through the land.  In our minds we had pictured a much larger distance but they are all so close to one another!  This is how these cities run along the hill side...Jerusalem then Gibeah of Saul, then Ramah, then Mizpah.  That would translate for us like this....Springfield, then Chatham then Auburn then Virden.   We ended Friday where Joshua ended in Gezer.  Joshua asked for the sun and moon to be still here and they did. God granted him a miracle to accomplish his will.  I believe God still grants miracles today.  We experienced one on Saturday.  I will explain in my next blog....stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment